Geneva - According to preliminary investigations conducted by Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor and testimonies it has collected, a five-year-old Palestinian girl, Hind Rajab, and her relatives were killed in a planned execution carried out by the Israeli army in Gaza City in broad daylight.

Hind and five of her family members were riding in a civilian car in the Tal al-Hawa neighbourhood, in the southwestern part of Gaza City, on Monday, 29 January, at around 5 pm, when they were exposed to direct and repeated fire from the Israeli army, according to Euro-Med Monitor.

Twelve days after making a distress call while injured and trapped in the destroyed car, Hind was found dead on Saturday, 10 February, among other dead bodies of her relatives who were also killed inside the vehicle. No one could get to her in time to save her.

Prior to the telephone call made by five-year-old Hind, her cousin, 15-year-old Layan Hamada, who was in the same car, made a call to the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS) to ask for assistance as they were surrounded by Israeli tanks. The call's audio recording captures audio clips from the intense gunfire that the car was subjected to. Layan's voice went silent after she screamed intensely, killed by that gunfire.

On the same day, the PRCS also found the bodies of two of its paramedics, Yousef Zaino and Ahmed Al-Madhoun, who were sent to rescue Hind after receiving her telephoned distress call, and after conducting the security coordination required by Israeli army forces to allow such missions.

The child's family claims that Hind fled their neighbourhood in a black Kia car along with her uncle, aunt, and three of her cousins after the Israeli army ordered residents to evacuate to the south during a ground incursion that lasted for roughly two weeks and during which the Israeli army forces imposed a strict siege on the area.

Initial testimonies collected by the Euro-Med Monitor team showed that the car came under fire after encountering Israeli tanks and military vehicles. It entered a nearby gas station to take cover from bullets and shells.

After the Israeli army vehicles withdrew from the area, the car was found with numerous gunshot holes, broken glass, and heavy evidence of bullets fired directly at it.

Field investigation revealed that there appeared to be remnants of Israeli army tanks on the road leading to the vehicle, and satellite imagery taken just hours before the crime revealed that Israeli army military vehicles were 200 metres from the car's site.

Examining the victims' bodies, it became evident that they had been subjected to intense fire and shrapnel from artillery shelling. Meanwhile, a few metres away, the ambulance that had been dispatched to save Hind, its engine lying on the ground, was completely burned, resulting in the deaths of the two PRCS paramedics who had arrived at the scene after completing the required coordination with the Israeli army.

The Israeli army targeted the PRCS ambulance with a US-made shell, as evidenced by pieces of an American-made M830A1 HEAT shell discovered inside.

The facts show that both crimes took place during daylight hours, which means that the Israeli army forces had clear visibility and were undoubtedly able to identify and distinguish that the occupants of the car were a group of civilians consisting of a family with their children, and that the vehicle approaching the car was an ambulance—the same vehicle that had coordinated with the Israeli army to remove the child, Hind, and transport her to the hospital. Euro-Med Monitor notes that this is more proof that the Israeli army intentionally targets Palestinian civilians.

According to the Geneva Conventions and the Rome Statute, five-year-old Hind Rajab, her family, and the two paramedics who attempted to save Hind were all victims of a serious and complex crime that included multiple grave violations and war crimes. The first was the planned unlawful killing of unarmed civilians in a civilian car in broad daylight; the second was the refusal to give urgent medical assistance to injured people when they discovered that a wounded child was still alive; and the third was the intentional unlawful killing of PRCS paramedics on a humanitarian assistance mission, despite their use of the Red Crescent emblem, which is protected by international humanitarian law.